Running a truck with hydraulic linkage? Don’t use a manual clutch.
We get questions all the time from mechanics that want to replace a self-adjust clutch with a manual clutch.
If your truck has a hydraulic linkage, putting a manual clutch back in can be detrimental, so don’t do it!
As more OEMs turn to hydraulic linkage systems for new production trucks, fleet managers and owner operators are being presented with a problem: how to best identify and prevent premature clutch wear.
The biggest challenge with a hydraulic linkage is the lack of free travel in the clutch pedal. This is why a self-adjust clutch is the perfect solution. It takes the guess work out of adjustments. When a manual clutch is replaced into a self-adjust application, the driver loses the feel of the free travel in the clutch. Without this free play, drivers may not know that a clutch needs adjustment until they can’t get their vehicle into gear and have to be towed in.
We all know that properly adjusted clutches last longer and perform better, reducing unplanned downtime and costly driveline repairs. Road Choice self-adjusting clutches can deliver high quality at an affordable price by automatically sensing clutch wear and ensuring that the clutch stays in the correct setting. On average a manual clutch is adjusted 13 times throughout its lifecycle. 13 times! If you consider that each clutch adjustment takes roughly 15 to 30 minutes to perform, installing a self-adjust clutch will save hours of labor costs per truck.
So what else makes the Road Choice self-adjuster so special?
- The patented design measures the stroke of the bearing making it more like a manual adjust clutch that’s been made into a self-adjust clutch
- The arm on the auto adjuster is set in a stud located inside the clutch. When properly adjusted and actuated, the bearing travels at a set ½”. Every. Single. Time.
- Need to adjust the clutch for some reason? It’s simple: just replace the auto-adjuster with a manual adjuster, make the adjustment and pop the auto-adjuster back in. No complicated reset procedure or special tool needed!
- The auto-adjuster won’t over adjust. Bring on the bumpy roads and loading docks!
- Each auto-adjuster is its own contained mechanism which keeps out dirt. No dirt means no failures. No failure means more uptime.
All Road Choice self-adjusting clutches are made in the United States with all-new components and feature a two-year, unlimited mile warranty. To order yours, log on to the SELECT Part Store or explore our network of more than 600 North American retailers. Just enter your zip code below in the “Where to Buy” section at the bottom of the screen to find your local retailer.
Want to learn more about the Road Choice Self-Adjust clutch? Check out Episode 2 of our Road Choice TV Series!